Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Podcast

In trying to decide what kind of podcast that I would like to create, I thought about something that would be helpful to my students. I'm not yet a teacher, but I thought that poetry would be one area of English that is sometimes tricky for students to understand. I decided to podcast a recording of a poem called "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas because it is one of my favorite poems. Simply reading a poem is one way to interpret it, but hearing one read aloud is sometimes better because you can hear the way that it is supposed to be read and that can lead to a better understanding of the poem itself. I thought that in class we could discuss the different methods and forms of poetry and then the students could go home and listen to the podcast of a poem read aloud. This I think is a good way to get students to think about the poem in a different way and would give us a good starting point for discussion in class. I think podcasting is going to be a very useful tool in the classroom and look forward to using it in the future.

No comments: